Thursday 2 June 2016

My birth experience: Part 1

We had two very different birth experiences.
Corey arrived 3 days before his due date. I had no signs of labor that I knew of, but I had no idea what to look out for as I wasnt told. My waters broke 10 minutes after returning home from our first and only antenatal class at 3pm. We went straight into the labor ward in Our Lady of Lourdes hospital Drogheda. I was checked over and moved to the ward to wait for labor to properly kick in. We were lucky we were put into a semi private room that was completely empty.
We sat about in the bed and did nothing for a few hours ( I had no idea walking and moving would help move labor along). I had to request to be checked after about 5 hours to be told that first labors are slow moving and I would probably still be there waiting in the morning. They did the check and I was alot farther along than they expected and after that labor started moving swiftly along.
I started feeling pains at about 9pm so we went walking and even tried to get into a bath (as soon as I was submerged I had a contraction and it made it ten times worse so I got out). At about 10 I requested gas and air, by that point I had bitten poor Nialls shoulder during a particularly bad contraction so we felt it was necessary. We were moved to the pre-lobor ward where I was put on a birthing ball and given the gas and air (of which i took far too much).
By 10:30 I decided enough was enough and I wanted the epidural so we were moved to the labor room with my trusty gas and air at my side to be preped for the epidural. 20 minutes later still no anesthesiologist (it was a busy night for epidurals). I was checked again and we were told I was too far along for the epidural so it was just gas and air for me. 
I pushed, I screamed, I screamed and I pushed. I more than likely cursed Niall's name and nearly broke his hand. Most of it was a blur (the result of 2 and a half canisters of gas and air) and I dont fully remember it all.
Corey was born a big 8 pounds 7 ounces of adorable baby at 11:45.
I tore and needed 8 stitches given to me by a Dr I was convinced was singing Kanye West (gas and air again). 
Within an hour I was made get up and hobble leaning on my boyfriend for support covered in blood and who knows what else down the corridor to a shower room where poor Niall had to wash me down and dress me, and then request a wheelchair when I nearly collapsed in the shower. 
The next morning we were moved to the maternity ward full of new mams and there babies that I hid behind my curtain from. I stayed there for 4 days as I was breastfeeding and didnt feel fully confident and with Corey being jaundiced I was worried he wouldnt get enough milk to clear it.
Then after 4 days we were released into the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment