Monday 20 June 2016

Paternity leave and paternity benefit!

Finally Ireland is catching up with the times and the paternity bill is being published tomorrow! 


We were lucky Niall works for eBay and they gave him 2 weeks paternity leave so we didn't have to wait until the bill came into affect.
It's such an important time in anyone's life and no-one wants to go into work when they have a new baby. Niall even took off an extra week of his own holidays when Logan was overdue as he just couldn't concentrate at work with the anticipation!

It was a great help to me having Niall at home in those first few weeks as I was physically and mentally exhausted after the birth and having him there really lightened the load and made life so much easier. He cooked and cleaned and comforted baby when I couldn't or needed a break. He went to the shop when needed which I wouldn't have been able to manage myself in those first few weeks. He kept my company while I sat under Logan as he cluster fed all day and night. I completely believe having him there prevented me getting depressed and I never felt overwhelmed. And by the time he went back to work we were settled and relaxed into a bit if a routine and it made that transition very easy!! 


The bill means 2 weeks paternity leave for new dad's which they can take in the first 6 months of there babies lifes and €230 benefit a week which employer's can top up to make up the balance of there salary.
Hopefully this is just a start and it will grow from this as two weeks is great to begin with but in reality it should be longer!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment