Friday 3 June 2016

My birth experience: Part 2

With Logan we assumed that because Corey was early that he would be even earlier as everything I read about second babies said they would be. So from about 38 weeks I was expecting to go into labor at any second and I can tell you that made the following 4 weeks very long and torturous. Any little niggle or bout of diarrhea I took as a sign of impending labor. But no even after trying all the normal treatments to bring on labor walking for miles, curry's, long drives, hanky panky and even trying homeopathic remedies (suggested by the midwifes), acupuncture and no less than 3 sweeps baby was not moving. 
I was booked in for induction on the Friday at 4 pm so that was my deadline to stay in the MLU. On the Thursday I scrubbed the car that we had only bought the day before, fit the car seat, had a hot bath and went to bed. At 2:45 am I woke to Corey standing over me which gave me a bit of a jolt. I sent him back to bed and noticed a slight twinge in my tummy. This continued every 5-7 min for nearly an hour getting more and more noticeable (I wouldnt say painful). At about 4 I decided to get up, move around and properly time the contractions. So I went and sat on my birthing ball with pen in hand ready to log my pains. I was bouncing lightly on the ball when BANG it exploded under me and I hit the ground quite hard on my bum. I sat there for about 5 min as I didnt want to move to fast but when I tried to get up I couldnt, so I phoned Niall who was upstairs and he came running without even answering the phone. It took a few min but I got up onto the couch and then my whole body started shaking from the shock. I was worried the fall or the shock could harm the baby so I called the MLU. They calmed me down and told me to come into the labor ward to be checked. So we had to get poor Corey out of bed at 4:30 am and drop him into his auntie and granny.
We arrived at 5 and I was monitored for about an hour and a half. The contractions were getting worse and could be seen on the monitor. The midwife decided to do an internal as I was dilated by about 4 cm so they decided there was no point in sending me home. Niall went and got the bags and a lovely MLU midwife came to bring me back to there ward. While waiting I got up as I was sore from sitting being monitored for so long and from then the pains started getting bend over the bed painful. 
Niall came back and made ooobbbaaa noises (starwars reference) during my contractions which at any other time I would have found hilarious but not while I was bent over the bed moaning in pain. The wonderful midwife and trainee midwife monitored me constantly checking my pulse and checking the baby with the doppler (which was cool as they had to keep checking lower and lower as the baby moved down). By about 9:45 am I decided I needed the gas and air and we moved to a yoga mat on the ground where I could be on all fours as my feet were hurting and I couldn't sit.
At about 10 they did and internal and I was 7 cm dilated and when I got back to my all fours position I had a huge contraction and my waters broke (Im cringing just thinking of it eekk). I decided the gas and air was doing nothing but making me feel sick, fuzzy and affecting my concentration so I stopped taking it and started pushing. It was much better and I felt I was in control which I didn't feel when I had Corey as I was so out of it from the gas. When the midwife said push I did when they said stop I did. It felt like it took a lifetime, like the pain would never end and I wouldn't be able to do it. I took chunks out of Nialls hand and he could barley hold me I was pulling back so hard. I cursed like a sailor and screamed bloody murder. Logan did his first poo and the Dr was called in with a huge space age machine just incase and a second midwife was called too. I was turned onto bottomless a seat for better positioning and a few pushes later Logan was born at 10:32 am a humongous 10 pounds 7 ounces. I wasn't


allowed touch him as he might breath in the menicom (the first poo) and he had the cord wrapped around his neck twice but he was fine! The midwifes were so good and calming all the way through and I was in so much control that I didn't tear at all!
I was brought to bed and once he was checked over and wiped down he was given to me for some skin to skin contact. I was given painkillers as the after birth contractions were very painful. Niall took him after a bit and I dozed for an hour as midwifes pottered about filling out form after form. I had a shower after 1 pm and then Niall went home to have a shower and get Corey to bring for a visit. We were moved to the smaller room that evening and Niall was given a cot bed to stay on. I had a few pains during the night but nothing solphadine couldn't fix.The next day after a few checks the midwifes were happy with Logans latch and our over all health so we were given a packet of information and a had a talk with another lovely midwife and we were free to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment